The Congress is now due to go-ahead in 2022 after being postponed from its original dates in 2020 (due to the corona-virus outbreak).
In March 2020, it was postponed until July 2021, but in July 2020 this decision was revisited, and the NCS trustees agreed then that there should be a further postponement, to July 2022.
All of these web-pages are now out of date (they still describe plans for July 2020), but they will be updated in due course.
As far as possible, the arrangements will be "rolled over" from what was planned for July 2020.
Being a brand-new building, the TLC does not yet appear on all internet maps/navigation services. However, it is very close to the Bill Bryson Library (the University's Main Library). If you zoom in on the map below, you will see South Road just to the south of the river. On the corner between South Road and Stockton Road is the Bryson Library. The TLC is on the opposite side of South Road from the Library (i.e. on the west side of the road).
The Cathedral and Castle are both on Palace Green, which is the large green space in the middle of the "peninsula", the area bounded by the bend in the river visible in the photograph above. The bridge to the lower right of this picture (Kingsgate Bridge) offers the fastest (pedestrian) route to the TLC, which is just out of shot, about a hundred yards away from the small church at the bottom of the picture (St Oswald's).
Distances and Heights
All of the Congress's academic sessions will take place in the same building (the TLC), which has lifts/elevators as well as stairs.
In the city more generally, there are some hills, steps and cobbles in Durham (so good shoes are recommended), but neither the distances nor the gradients are large. Here are some indicative figures:
Distances (on foot):
- TLC to Collingwood – 0.3 miles, 8 minutes (up 90ft)
- TLC to Palace Green – 0.6 miles, estimated time 13 minutes (up 60ft, down 30ft including a flight of 17 steps)
- Palace Green to Market Place – 0.2 miles, 5 minutes (down 45ft)
- TLC to Market Place – 0.8 miles, 17 minutes (up 100ft, down 40ft)
- Marriott Royal County to TLC – 0.6 miles, 14 minutes (up 100ft)
- Radisson to TLC – 1.1 miles, 22 minutes (up 110ft)
- Railway station to TLC – 1.2 miles, 26 minutes (up 100ft, down 140ft)
Source: Google Maps
- Toronto, Victoria College to Art Gallery of Ontario – 1.2 miles, 24 minutes (height gain: 60ft)
- Toronto, Victoria College to Central Library – 0.7 miles, 13 minutes (height loss: 10ft)
Source: Google Maps
- Palace Green (Cathedral and Castle) - 220ft above sea level
- TLC – 220ft above sea level
- Kingsgate Bridge (the lowest point between Palace Green and the TLC) – 160ft above sea level
- the river Wear (always at the lowest point in the city!) – 120ft above sea level
- Collingwood College – 300ft above sea level
- Grey College – 300ft above sea level
- Van Mildert College – 280ft above sea level
- Marriott Royal County – 130ft above sea level
- Radisson – riverside
Distances (by car/taxi)
- Radisson to TLC – 1.3 miles, 8 minutes
- Marriott to TLC – 0.6 miles, 4 minutes
- Railway station to TLC – 1.4 miles, 6 minutes
- Collingwood to Newcastle Airport – 25 miles, 36 minutes
Source: Google maps